Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Reverse Telnet Aux Port to Cisco 300 Series Switch

The Cisco line of 300 switches provides you with a serial cable (DB-9 to DB-9) to connect to the console of the switch. Not sure if it’s a straight or null cable, but in either case here’s how to configure a Cisco router to reverse telnet using the aux port and into the console port of the switch.

First off, the route needs this config on the aux port.
line aux 0
modem InOut
transport input all
transport output all
stopbits 1
speed 115200

(speed is important as the 300 switches operate at this speed by default, but the aux port runs at 9600)

Then use a blue Cisco console cable (the one with RJ-45 on one end and DB-9 on the other) and roll it over by reversing the pins. I simply cut off the RJ-45 end and put another one in by flipping the connector.

Here’s some info on the Aux port and what a rolled cable is in case you need it.

After that you can now connect to the switch. Here’s some info on how to reverse telnet, my goal is simply to show you the cabling and aux config that worked for me.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

ADI Installation for 64-bit OS

I was trying to install ADI on my Citrix server that was running Windows 2008 R2 (x64) and kept getting an error on adicom30.ins(509): OS ERROR

Found this nice article by Ning:

Basically, just comment out the 509th line and run it again. Should install. I'm still testing it out to make sure it works and I don't have any other issues, but so far the application runs….

This is what I commented out.

        /* Register the 32Bit AUW Files 
        {
          spawn( replace( "%windows_sys_dir%\SPAWNER.EXE %windows_sys_dir%\AUWREG32.EXE /S /32", "\\", "\") );  
        }
        
        ['UNKNOWN_ERROR, 'NO_RESPONSE: continue();]
        */

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

Final Numbers - Backblaze Storage Pod

It’s been a while since I last wrote about this, and I’ve had these pics and numbers for a while.

In the end the best configuration was using the 3Ware card with a 15 drive RAID-50 and a spare drive. I’ve been running this thing since July and to tell you the truth I’m not even using the other 30 drives yet. My 22TB config has about 10TB left on it, so seeing how little storage I was using I didn’t bother with the Addonics cards. I just decided to wait until my next year’s budget to get some more 3ware cards.

The power supply worked like a champ, but I was not able to get the redundancy I wanted. I simply decided that this was just a backup device. I have the spare power supply mounted on the pod, and should the main power supply fail, I’ll simply move the connections over to the second power supply – aided by the fact that the PS is modular.

Below are the numbers I was seeing when the hard drives would start up. Each rail can do 30A, so I was well within the range. I think the peak range for this PS was in the 35 or 40 range, so I was able to load up a rail pretty high in one instance… Don’t remember, but I think I powered up all 45 drives on one rail to see if it’ll take it and it did!

I’m actually planning for my budget for this year. I’ve learned quite a bit of things with this project and will upload my version 2 on this project as soon as I am able too. Of the few things I would change: motherboard (to have more PCI-E slots,) processor (go with Intel i7,) and definitely go all 3ware on the RAID config. Will post part numbers and pricing on my ideas next time.

Start-up

Normal Operation

20HDs - molex

12V

25A

6.5A

5V

10A

6A

4HDs - SATA

12V

5.3A

1.2A

5V

5.5A

3.3A

10HDs - molex

12V

14A

3.3A

5V

5.5A

3.3A



  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS